19 DE SETEMBRO DE 2018
(1) The Primary Purpose of the Organization is to ensure the provision, by each Provider, of maritime mobile
satellite communications services for the GMDSS according to the legal framework set up by IMO.
(2) In implementing the Primary Purpose set out in paragraph (1), the Organization shall:
(a) act exclusively for peaceful purposes; and
(b) perform the oversight functions in a fair and consistent manner among Providers.
A new Article 4 – Other Functions – is inserted, as follows:
(1) Subject to the decision of the Assembly, the Organization may assume functions and/or duties of LRIT
Co-ordinator, at no cost to Parties, in accordance with the decisions of IMO.
(2) The Organization shall continue to perform the functions and/or duties of LRIT Co-ordinator, subject to the
decision of the Assembly. In performing such functions and/or duties, the Organization shall act in a fair and
Article 4 – Implementation of Basic Principles – is replaced by the following new Article 5 – Oversight
of the GMDSS – and Article 6 – Facilitation
Oversight of the GMDSS
(1) The Organization shall execute a Public Services Agreement with each Provider, and shall conclude such
other arrangements as may be necessary to enable the Organization to perform its oversight functions, and to
report as well as make recommendations, as appropriate.
(2) Oversight of Providers by the Organization shall be based on:
(a) any specific conditions or obligations imposed by IMO during, or at any stage after, the recognition and
authorization of the Provider;
(b) relevant international regulations, standards, recommendations, resolutions and procedures relating to the
(c) the relevant Public Services Agreement and any other related arrangements concluded between the
Organization and the Provider.
(3) Each Public Services Agreement shall include, inter alia, general provisions, common principles and
appropriate obligations for the Provider in accordance with a Reference Public Services Agreement and
guidelines developed by the Assembly, including arrangements for the provision of all the information necessary
for the Organization to fulfil its purpose, functions and duties, consistent with Article 3.
(4) All Providers shall execute Public Services Agreements which shall also be executed by the Director
General on behalf of the Organization. Public Services Agreements shall be approved by the Assembly. The
Director General shall circulate the Public Services Agreements to all Parties. Such Agreements shall be
considered approved by the Assembly unless more than one-third of the Parties submit written objections to the
Director General within three months from the date of circulation.
(1) Parties shall take appropriate measures, in accordance with national laws, to enable Providers to provide